One of the best things about the summertime in Sacramento County is the increased opportunity to spend time outdoors. However, if you are out enjoying a walk, it is vital to stay alert to the fact that our area has recently been experiencing a spike in pedestrian accidents.
WHY DO PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS SPIKE DURING SUMMER MONTHS?
Several factors that make the summer months more dangerous for pedestrians in Northern California include:
- Increased foot traffic – For many people, warmer weather means taking more frequent walks for leisure or even commuting to work on foot. Because more pedestrians are out on the roads, there is more of a chance of someone becoming a pedestrian accident victim.
- Inexperienced teen drivers – Because teenagers have the summer months off school, it is an incredibly popular time for them to take driving lessons and explore their newfound freedom. Unfortunately, that means a lot of inexperienced drivers are on the road at the same time, so everyone else needs to be particularly vigilant. While you might expect an experienced driver to anticipate you entering a crosswalk, for example, younger drivers might not.
- Increased road construction – Road crews often plan their work for the summer months when inclement weather is less likely. Practically, this means obstructed roadways and unexpected diversions, confusing and distracting drivers and making pedestrian collisions more likely.
- Increased alcohol use – Many people equate the summer months with partying. When more people get behind the wheel after drinking, the dangers to pedestrians increase dramatically.
- Increased tourist traffic – The summer months mean tourists and day trippers, many of whom are unfamiliar with the local roads. These lost and distracted drivers are more likely to overlook pedestrians in their path.
COMMON PEDESTRIAN INJURIES
A pedestrian hit by a car is likely to suffer serious injuries, no matter how fast the vehicle is going. Some common pedestrian injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Crush injuries
- Internal injuries and bleeding
- Joint damage
- Spinal cord damage
- Neck and back injuries
All too often, these injuries can prove fatal.
STEPS TO TAKE AFTER A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT IN CALIFORNIA
The steps you take after a pedestrian accident can affect your health and your ability to recover compensation. If at all possible, you should:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Call the police, who will take a report of the incident.
- Get the driver’s contact and insurance information.
- Meet with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer.
CONTACT A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT LAWYER IN FOLSOM, CA
If you were hit by a car while on foot, the experienced pedestrian accident lawyers at The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC, want to hear from you. We’re ready to help you pursue the total compensation you need for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses. Contact us now for a free, no-obligation consultation.