Delivery workers face daily risks that the general public may not be aware of. Aggressive dogs are one work-related hazard for postal employees, delivery persons, and even Amazon Flex drivers. Dog bites are a leading cause of emergency room visits in the United States, according to Injury Epidemiology, and delivery drivers face a disproportionate risk of dog attacks by the very nature of their job.
If you suffered a dog attack as a delivery driver, The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC , can help you seek money for your medical expenses, lost income, and other losses. Contact us today for a free consultation with a dog bite lawyer in Folsom, California.
WHO CAN SUFFER A DOG ATTACK AT WORK?
Anyone who approaches a residence to deliver packages, food, or other items can find themselves in the path of a territorial dog. Some examples of at-risk delivery workers include:
- Amazon delivery workers
- Amazon Flex drivers
- United States Postal Service (USPS) letter carriers
- United Parcel Service (UPS) workers
- Federal Express (FedEx) workers
- Third-party delivery employees and contractors
- Home improvement store delivery workers
- Grocery delivery workers
- Food delivery workers
WAYS TO PREVENT DOG ATTACKS IN FOLSOM
While not every dog attack is preventable, you can reduce your risk of injury by:
- Not entering areas where a dog is present, including fenced areas with a “Beware of Dog” sign.
- Remaining alert when you enter someone’s property.
- Creating a barrier between you and an oncoming dog.
- Avoiding eye contact with an animal.
- Carrying pepper spray to ward off an attacking dog.
Dog owners have a responsibility to warn delivery people of an aggressive animal and to take reasonable steps to prevent their dogs from attacking. If they fail to do so and someone gets hurt in a dog attack, they – and their homeowners’ liability insurance – can be held responsible for resulting losses.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU SUFFER A DOG ATTACK WHILE MAKING A DELIVERY
If you were attacked by a dog while making a delivery, the dog’s owner is likely liable for your injuries. If that person has homeowners’ or renters’ insurance, their policy should cover your losses.
Each case is different, and the severity of your injuries, the details of the dog owner’s insurance policy, and other factors may determine how you seek compensation.
A PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY FROM OUR FIRM CAN HELP YOU BY:
- Gathering evidence related to your dog attack
- Documenting your losses
- Handling every step of your claim or lawsuit
- Negotiating for a settlement with at-fault parties
- Taking your case to court, if necessary
UPS workers, FedEx drivers, Amazon delivery contractors, and all other delivery professionals have a right to safety. If a negligent dog owner violated that right, you could seek compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more. In addition, someone who is a direct employee – not an independent contractor – could be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits for their injuries.
CONTACT OUR FOLSOM INJURY LAWYERS TODAY
The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC , is ready to help you demand fair compensation after a dog attack. Contact us today to speak with a dog-bite lawyer in Folsom, CA.